Thursday, March 18, 2010

Kid-Friendly Cookbooks

I've fallen in love with a new genre of books.  It's sort of a hybrid cookbook and parenting guide, with real-life anecdotes mixed in.

Last year I started with Hungry Monkey by Matthew Amster-Burton.  This is such a well written book, filled with short, hilarious vignettes written by a food writer/dad who is trying to foster an appreciation of wide spectrum of foods in his young daughter.  The sharp, witty writing is almost as delicious as the recipes, which have become some of my favorite meals during the past year.



I enjoyed Hungry Monkey so much that I picked up a similar book that Amster-Burton recommended called Too Many Cooks: Kitchen Adventures With One Mom, Four Kids and 102 Recipes by Emily Franklin.



This book is a little bit more serious, but equally compelling and filled with simple, clean and absolutely delicious recipes.  A few of my favorites are buttery apricot bars and a crisy roasted chicken.  Franklin's anecdotes about motherhood and cooking were so engaging that I devoured the book in a few hours and had to read it again.

I would recommend both books to any parent who has struggled with what to cook for your kids.  Now I'm on a search for any new writing in this genre.  Any suggestions?

0 comments:

Post a Comment