Sunday, June 6, 2010

Rice Cooker Oatmeal




Oatmeal is one of my favorite breakfast foods.  I'm not talking about the mushy, drippy, done in thirty seconds oatmeal.  Steel cut, slow cooking, ridiculously chewy oats please. Unfortunately, what makes slow cooking oats taste good is a little something I can't seem to find enough of...time.  Until, that is, a friend suggested I put them in my rice cooker.
So I did.  And...voila!


Rice Cooker Oatmeal (serves 4)
Ingredients:

2 cups steel cut Irish oats (I prefer McCann's)
4 cups water

Method:
Put oats and water in your rice cooker.  I put mine in the night before and let everything soak.  The next morning, I press "cook"and walk away for about 30 minutes.  Rice cooker will switch to "warm" setting when done.  Seriously, could it be any easier?  No crazy stirring or waiting involved.

Serve with your choice of toppings, including brown sugar, nuts and dried or fresh fruit.
I like to portion the oats in small Tupperware containers and save them for a week of breakfasts. I also like to serve them with a fresh bouquet of peonies on the table, courtesy of my garden.  But that part is totally optional. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment